How to Stop Your Dog From Fear Piddling

It was the day after we brought Sadie home that I discovered that she was a fear-piddler. She was about six months old and house-broken, and I was glad to see her, and not the least angry at her.

When I walked in the door, Sadie started to do the happy dance. I bent down to stroke her neck, just the way I've done with every dog I've ever had, and she let loose her bladder contents on the rug.

Dog fear piddling is not that unusual, and there are several things you can do to prevent it. The important thing to know is that it's a sign of submission to a more powerful creature.

1. Don't punish the dog for fear piddling. It just increases her fear and makes the behavior more likely to happen. In fact, if you don't want her to be scared when you come home, don't punish her for anything she's done in your absence. If she chews your favorite shoe, hit yourself with it for leaving it where she could get at it (she's just chewing it because she wants to be close to your scent).
2. When you arrive home after an absence, either take the dog outside to pet her or give a calm but friendly greeting and walk past her until she has calmed down. Let her go outside and do her business before you greet her.
3. Although Sadie was more afraid of me than of my husband, some dogs are more likely to piddle around men. Speak softly around the dog until it becomes accustomed to the tone of your voice, and remember to avoid the kind of stance that looks threatening to a dog.
4. When you stand over a dog and reach down to pet it, the dog sees that as an attack stance. It's better to sidle up next to a nervous dog and gently rub its back. Even a firm look in the eye can be frightening to a timid dog or challenging to an aggressive dog. You might also squat to the dog's level and let it come to you. Pet it gently and then walk away.
5. I learned that when I said, "Come here, Sadie," she came, piddling all the way. I had to change the words I use to call her. I now say, "Hi, Sadie," when I want her to come, and she comes without fear. So keep in mind that if some verbal signal seems to trigger the fear, you can use a different one -- whatever makes sense to you -- to escape those bad associations.

We've had Sadie for more than four years now, and most of those fearful behaviors have gone away. I still have to watch the things I do that might seem threatening to her, but she's a friendly and loving dog, even to our active 4-year-old grandson.

JV Bear trained her first dog when she was 8 years old by the "demonstration method," which she made up (and recommends only if you're 8 and spend hours a day with nothing to do but hang out with the dog). She has owned at least one dog, usually two, throughout her adult life and recommends clicker training from her own experience.

Click here http://writingroadtowealth.com/recommended/dog-clicker-training for more information about clicker training.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=JV_Bear

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dog piddles when I leave and when I greet him ... I'm not excited, or any different than how i usually am so I don't know what else I can do. He piddles when he's scared or excited but he can't be by my side 24 hours and if I close the door in the bathroom, he piddles on the other side of it.

Unknown said...

What if your dog fear-piddles because he's afraid of another dog in the house? My two usu. get along, but the older male, a pit bull, has taken to starting fights with the younger, submissive male for no reason. Now he's afraid to eat out of the food dish when he sees his rival coming, or to even walk past him. Hence, he won't go to the door to ask to be let out (for fear of crossing the other dog's path), but simply sits and piddles on the counterpane. I'm sure it's a dominance issue, but I can't play referee every minute, and I am getting tired of washing wee'd-on bedsheets.

Post a Comment